Friday, August 3, 2007

Important principle #7:

Important principle #7:
The first step in the process of replacing automatic, unconscious, non-resourceful beliefs with conscious, resourceful beliefs is to discover what your core beliefs are.
One way to begin is to make a list of ways you would complete the following sentences:
I am _______.
People are _______.
The world is _________.
You could probably make a long list for each of these categories. In doing this, you're looking for what you say to yourself when things have gone wrong and look bleakest. You are not looking for what you learned in self help books—those things you think you should believe about yourself, such as "I am one with everything." "The world is filled with abundance." "People are basically good." "Everything happens for the best," and so on. If you really believed these things, you would be creating them in your life, and you probably wouldn't need to be reading this article.
Instead, we're looking for those things you believe about yourself that keep you from being happy and peaceful all the time--statements such as "I'm never going to be a success." "No one will ever love me." "There's something wrong with me." "I can't seem to do anything right." "People always take advantage of me." "Men always leave me in the end." "No one cares about me." "The world is dangerous and chaotic." "Making money is not spiritual." And so on. These statements are big clues to what negative and non-resourceful core beliefs you have.

No comments: